There is plenty of fun to have in Wisconsin during the winter months. From outdoors activities like sledding, skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, snowshoeing, ice fishing, and snowmobiling to indoor activities like cozying up by a fireplace, visiting an indoor waterpark, watching an Oscar nominated film, visiting the Mitchell Park Domes, and spending time with families and loved ones – Wisconsin residents know how to get through the coldest months of the year.
Here is a list of a few winter safety tips:
- Never use an oven to heat your home.
- If you use a portable heater, make sure to keep it at least 3 feet from furniture, curtains, and other items that could burn. Turn it off if you go to sleep or leave the room.
- Keep room humidifiers clean and change the water in them daily to avoid bacteria and fungi from building-up.
- Keep sidewalks, porches, and stairs cleared of snow and ice to prevent someone from slipping and falling on your property.
- To prevent leaks or further damage, remove ice damns from your roof if they occur.